Read the testimonial here: Bengalla Mine Testimonial
Below is an amended version of the Improvementgram that went out to site personnel. Some names have been changed to protect the innocent and obviously the cost information has been removed.
I hope this helps with your nomination.
WHAT WAS HAPPENING?
- Freight was being delivered by which ever company the originator contacted or preferred. The purchasing team were observing astronomically high invoices and were convinced that a particular service provider could provide a much lower cost service with a greater focus on customer service.
General freight was largely conducted by ABC prior to the trial. For the period of January to the end of March this year, general freight was conducted by ABC at a significant cost per quarter.
HOW DID WE IMPROVE IT?
- The purchasing team proposed a trial for general freight using Pit Patrol instead of ABC. The trial would be for a period of three months and involved keeping all stakeholders informed of the progress of the trial.
- The three month trial concluded on Friday (22 Aug 14).
- Pit Patrol has demonstrated a service that focusses on the needs of Bengalla ensuring as much as possible to have same day service.
Pit Patrol have met all requirements by the store personnel and accommodated where any shortcomings were identified.
WHAT IMPACT DO WE EXPECT THE CHANGE TO HAVE?
- Pit Patrol’s general freight services were conducted at an average cost approximately 1/3 lower per quarter
- Leading to a significant annualised savings for general freight, when compared to the previous service provider
- The outcome is that Pit Patrol will be the preferred provider for all aspects of freight (general, emergency and interstate freight)
Improved delivery service, leading to parts and equipment to Bengalla in a timely and professional manner has positively contributed to Bengalla’s increased mining equipment availability, which then leads to an increase in productivity for Bengalla.
Commercial and Business Improvement Specialist – Bengalla Mine
Bengalla Mining Company, Bengalla Road (Locked Mailbag 5), Muswellbrook NSW 2333, Australia
T: +61 (02) 6542 9542 F: +61 (02) 6542 9598
Rio Tinto Coal Australia Pty Limited. Registered office: 123 Albert Street Brisbane 4000 Australia.
ABN 74 010 542 140
This email is confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately and delete this message from your system without first printing or copying it. Any personal data in this email (including any attachments) must be handled in accordance with the Rio Tinto Group Data Protection Policy and all applicable data protection laws.